When it comes to our four legged pals, we are always extra careful as to what we are giving them to eat. When giving dogs food to eat it is important to make sure we know they can even consume it. This is even more true for vitamins and supplements. Fish oil has been really hot in the supplement world for a while, so you may be asking yourself, can i give my dog fish oil for humans?
Yes they can, but dosage is important.
A dog can consume fish oil either through fish itself or supplements. However, we do not let usually let our dogs eat fish, so it is most likely that they will get their dosage from fish oil supplements. There are capsules specially designed for dogs, but a lot of us wonder if the fish oil capsules meant for humans are safe for dogs too.
The answer to that question is yes. Dogs can consume fish oil capsules meant for humans, but only if the dosage is maintained strictly. Whenever looking at whether or not to give your dog food that you are unsure of, a quick call to the veterinarian is always prudent.
The main difference between the human and the dog supplement lies in the dosage itself. To be on the safe side, consult your vet before going ahead with it. You would also want to check on the dosage amount, which can depend on many things including your dog’s breed.
You’re certainly not going to give a Labrador the same dosage that a teacup poodle would get. That’s the trick with dogs. Every dog breed is different. While their is a formula that is listed lower in the article, DogCarLife recommends seeking the advice of a veterinarian before giving your dog fish oil. It only takes a couple minutes to call, and the vet should be happy to hear from you.
Can I give my dog fish oil for humans: The benefits
You must be wondering why you should be giving your dog fish oil at all. Well, fish oil has certain properties that will benefit your dog tremendously. In fact, when it’s a puppy, giving it a dose of fish oil can be a good thing. Here is a look at some of the ways your pet could benefit by taking fish oil for humans:
- Joint Health: Fish oil can strengthen and lubricate a dog’s joints so that it can be more flexible and mobile. Certain dog breeds are especially susceptible to joint issues- fish oil will be beneficial for them.
- Appetite: Fish oil can cause significant improvement in a dog’s appetite. It also adds a nice flavour to its regular food.
- Skin And Coat: Fish oil can help in the regeneration of healthy skin cells. It lends essential oils to the skin and strengthens hair follicles. Your dog will have a shiny coat and healthier, non-itchy skin.
- Immunity Boost: Your dog’s immunity system will improve on consuming fish oil. Infections will be kept at bay. Fish oil is
- Energy: Fish oil will increase your dog’s energy so that it is more active and always ready to play with you. This consequently causes weight loss too.
- Heart Health: Fish oil will improve your dog’s heart condition and ensure lower blood pressure.
Giving a dog human fish oil: The drawbacks
While fish oil has many health benefits. There are some drawbacks as well. That’s why it’s important to seek the consul of a veterinarian before giving your do fish oil for humans. Fish oil has anti inflammatory properties, from the DHA and EPA that they contain. These can really have tremendous benefits. But, they also have a downside.
Some of the potential problems with giving your dog fish oil include:
- Slower healing from injury: The active ingredients DHA and EPA. With its anti inflamatory qualities, fish oil can keep a wound from healing properly. Wounds need to be inflamed in order to get the white blood cells and platelets over for scabbing and wound closure.
Here’s a pretty good article on the damage fish oils can cause your pet.
What is the proper dosage of fish oil for a dog?
Wondering how much fish oil your pet needs? It is easy to calculate – multiply the weight of your dog in pounds by 20. The value you will get should be the daily dose of EPA for your dog ideally. It is essential that you make no compromises in this aspect if you are feeding your dog supplements that were designed for humans.
This post from vet.tufts.edu is great for calculating the value of supplements that you should give your dog. Use it: http://vet.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/omega-3_supplementation.pdf
Fish-oil supplements are not side effect free. However, they can play a role in making your dog healthier! If you are looking for the right fish oil for your dog, you may also want to check out first whether your pet prefers it. Can I give my dog fish oil for humans? Yes you can, but make sure that your vet signs off on it.